Flood damaged carpet from flooding or leaks in a home is not uncommon. If you’ve owned a home for several years, you’ve undoubtedly experienced it. You almost certainly will again in the future.
As hurriedly as possible, do away with the source of the water such as:
- Surely turn off circuit breakers supplying electricity to wet areas. As well as removing any small electrical devices from those parts.
- To minimize damage, avoid walking on wet carpet any more than necessary.
- Remove small furnishings from carpet to help prevent rust or furniture stains, which may become permanent.
- Hang draperies and pin up furniture skirts to avoid contact with wet floors. This will help prevent watermarks.
- Remove breakables, moisture-sensitive and high-value items.
- Remember to check under beds and other furniture.
- Plan for restoration crews to move furniture into unaffected dry areas.
- Make sure to practice good personal hygiene after handling affected items.
- To avoid the chance of electrical shock, do not use a home vacuum or shop vac to remove water.
Why It Is Necessary to Act Quickly for Flood Damaged Carpet
While each case is unique, water damage typically follows a similar pattern. To illustrate the importance of addressing the emergency as quickly as possible, here is what typically occurs over time.
Less than an hour
- Moving water quickly spreads to other areas.
- Furniture may stain carpet permanently.
- Moisture-sensitive furniture may discolor.
- Paper goods are ruined.
- Furniture delaminates or swells; legs can split.
- Pressed wood swells and disintegrates.
- Bacterial odor becomes apparent.
- Uncoated metal surfaces may tarnish.
- Normal household odors strengthen.
- Microbial growth may appear, accompanied by a “musty” odor.
- Musical instruments swell and warp.
- Drywall swells and disintegrates.
- Coated metal surfaces begin to rust.
- Door and window casings swell and distort.
- Wood decking and studs begin to swell, warp, or split.
- Electronic components may malfunction.
- Occupants with respiratory problems can experience distress.
One week and longer
- Microbial growth may appear, accompanied by a musty odor.
- Wood components warp and split.
- Chemicals within wood dissolve or discolor.
- Claim costs escalate dramatically.
Serious occupant health hazards may occur because of flood damaged carpet.
Carpet Cleaner Auckland 09-489 5599